Donor's Choose

If you are currently reading these words, then chances are you have a vested interest in public education and are aware of the goods achieved and the challenges faced. If you're a regular reader, then you know how I view the world - challenges are what they are and you can either tackle them or whine about them. I'll give you one guess as to which solution has a better chance of working.

I was going to write a post this evening about my new Donor's Choose project. Then I had a really good friend pass away this weekend in a motorcycle accident. I'm still processing that fully, but I do know that this particular friend was a rock for me and a supporter of my passion for teaching. He was in pharmacy school, but he would have been one hell of a teacher too. I write about him, in all honesty, more for me than for you. I need to remind myself that what we do is vital and important, but that it is only a part of life.

One of my kids probably lost someone important to them this weekend, but I'll never know who because I just met this group a few days ago. They're not ready to share those things with me yet. I have to remember the feeling of the phone call I got Saturday. I have to remember that sometimes school is not the most important thing.

Shadi always told me that I needed to tell people about what I do, because it's important. He told me often that I needed to spread the word about what I do more.

"Let your light shine, my man" he would say.

"You're gonna change someone's life" he would remind me.

Shadi was only 2 years older than me and he joined our EOYC family many years after I did, but like many others, I looked up to him more than he knew. I decided that he would probably scold me if I told him I wasn't writing this particular post because he passed away. So I'm writing this post in honor of Shadi Nmair.

***

With a heavy heart, I'm asking for donations for really important classroom materials. We have a small budget, but I use all of mine each year to take our kids to the World War I Museum at The Liberty Memorial. That leaves me scraping by for school supplies.

If you are interested in donating, use the code SPARK' to have your donation doubled by a corporate sponsor. It's anonymous, so I don't know who to thank, but it's pretty awesome. As of this writing, I have $390 to go, or $195 if all donors use the code SPARK.  Click here to donate.

Shadi holding Kate at a Royals game a few days before his accident.
Thank you for reading, and if you choose to donate, thank you for your financial support of my classroom. It is more needed than I can put into words. Don't forget to use the code SPARK to double your donation.

About Me:
My name is Alec Chambers. I am a high school history and government teacher at a small, urban public school in Kansas City called Center High School. We regularly kick tail. Among many awards, we were named a National Blue Ribbon School in 2014. I don't just teach at Center- I also graduated from Center in 2006 after attending Center Schools K-12. I have a degree in Political Science, a second degree in International Relations, a third degree in Education and a Master's of Arts in Teaching. I have an unofficial degree is soccer. All of those degrees have led me to the high-paying teaching profession! I have a newborn daughter and am married to the most awesome woman on the planet. Seriously. It's a proven fact.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Google

No comments:

Post a Comment